Head of the European Commission warns EU hospitals ‘at risk of being overwhelmed’ by Covid; Greece brings in regional lockdowns; French PM lays out details of new France lockdown.
- White House taskforce warns of ‘unrelenting’ Covid spread
- Angela Merkel heckled by German MPs over lockdown
- France: children aged six and over to wear masks in school
- Taiwan marks 200 days without domestic infection
- Large China outbreak linked to Xinjiang forced labour
The European Central Bank pledged to bolster its pandemic stimulus in December, AFP reports.
The economic recovery is “losing momentum more rapidly than expected” after the partial rebound seen in the summer, ECB president Christine Lagarde said after a virtual meeting of the 25-member governing council.
In other tech news: Apple will temporarily close 17 of its 20 stores in France from Oct. 30, as the country goes into a fresh one-month lockdown due to a resurgence of coronavirus cases, the company’s website showed.
Reuters: Apple’s Opéra, Les Quatre Temps, and Rosny 2 stores in Paris will remain open, the company’s website showed. Those three stores are using Apple’s new “Express” format, according to the site.